An immersion in southern Sicily, to discover its treasures: the largest necropolis in Europe, hidden in the natural reserve of Pantalica, where two rivers offer waterfalls and lakes extraordinary. Cava Carosello/Cave of Carosello and the cities of the Sicilian Baroque: Noto, Ragusa, Modica are not to be missed. The sweetness of the countryside cultivated with cherry tomatoes and olives, the golden beaches and traps of the Vendicari Reserve and the guided tour of Syracuse complete the portrait/picture of an unforgettable journey, a concentrate of Unesco heritage treasures.
The programme may be subject to changes due to weather conditions or to additional bans in nature reserves. The Mediterranea Trekking disclaims any responsibility/declines all responsibility.
2nd DAY – SYRACUSE
Day dedicated to the discovery of Syracuse: visit of the Archaeological Park (Greek Theater, Dionysius ear, Latomie) with local cultural guide.This city that was the capital of Magna Grecia was defined by Cicero as “the most beautiful of the Greek cities”. Today it is inscribed on the Unesco heritage due to the richness of its archeology which testifies to the different dominations of Sicily. The Archaeological Park hosts one of the largest theaters in the ancient Greek world, and yet the Cathedral, the Latomie, the Piazza/Square Archimede, the palace/building Bonomo , the fountain of Aretusa, the tomb of Archimedes, are just some of the treasures of this city.
Afternoon and evening free.
Attention: during the guided tour of the Archaeological Park, your tour leader will stay outside the park.
3rd DAY– VENDICARI – MARZAMEMI
Departure to the Nature Reserve to avenge.
Beginning of a pleasant walk along the coast passing through the most suggestive corners of this wild beach: the Byzantine necropolis, the trap, the Swabian tower, the beach of Calamosche, the beach of Marianelli, the observation huts of migratory birds. Packed lunch. At the end of the walk, visit of Marzamemi, which with its trap represents the true authentic portrait of the typical Sicilian village.
Return to Farmhouse/farmholidays (Borgo degli Ulivi) dinner and overnight stay.
- Difference in height: none or negligible
- Depending on the season and with the agreement of the guide, you can swim in the sea.
- Duration: 4h30 hours
- With baths in the sea: 5/6h00
4th DAY – CAVE OF CAROSELLO – NOTO
Departure for Cava Carosello, in the territory of Noto, where an unexpected landscape will surprise you. Passing through the ruins of Noto Antica, the ancient city destroyed in 1693, we will enter the quarry where, on the bottom, the Asinaro river creates along its course small lakes and waterfalls from the crystal clear water. The walk takes place along the river, ancient tanneries and water mills, until reaching a beautiful small lake.
In the afternoon, free visit of Noto, capital of the baroque with its magnificent cathedral.
Return to the farmhouse, dinner and overnight stay.
- Difference in height: -100 / + 100
- Duration: round/trip: 4h00
- Duration with baths in the pond/lake: 5/6h00
- Depending on the season and with the prior agreement of the guide, you can swim in the ponds/lakes.
5th DAY – RAGUSA IBLA – MODICA – SCICLI
Departure for the Baroque tour. These three cities classified as UNESCO heritage are comparable to real stone gardens. Free visit of Ragusa ibla, packed lunch. In the afternoon, we continue to Modica, visit the city and tasting of the famous Modica chocolate in one of the best laboratories in the city.
Return to Borgo degli Ulivi, dinner and overnight stay.
6th DAY – PANTALICA
Departure for the necropolis of Pantalica, the largest necropolis in the Mediterranean basin, which dates back to the late Bronze Age, with more than 5000 graves carved into the rock. This canyon crossed by the Anapo and Calcinara rivers is classified UNESCO heritage. Walk among the prehistoric tombs along the river. Packed lunch. Possibility of swimming/to swim. Return to the farmholidays, dinner and overnight stay.
- Difference in height: +300/-300
- Total route/trip: 12 km
- Duration: 4h00
- Duration with baths in the river: 5/6h00
The price includes/included:
- 1 night in a hotel or farmhouse in Syracuse (half board)
- 4 nights in farmhouse Borgo degli Ulivi (Palazzolo Acreide) in full board (breakfast, packed lunch, dinner, drinks not included)
- Transfer by private vehicle according to the program
- Picnic according to the program
- Tour leader for the whole trip
- D2 Cultural guide (2 hours)
- Entrance to the Archaeological Park of Syracuse
- Chocolate tasting in Modica
- City tax
- Transfer in / out from Catania – Syracuse hotel (1st Day – 7th Day) 1 round rotation / 1 return rotation – round-trip
- 24 hour Medtrek assistance
- Civil liability insurance
The price does not include/Not included:
- Lunch, 1st Day and 7th Day
- Dinner, 2nd Day
- Entrance to museums and archaeological sites (excluding the Archaeological Park of Syracuse)
- All personal expenses